Join me on one of the most beautiful drives in Alaska on this five hour tour with private transportation!
Having lived here for 40 years and doing tours since 2008, I am very much aware of all the history between Whittier and Anchorage and I love telling people about it.
If time permits, we will make a short loop around Whittier, the "strangest city in Alaska", and then exit Whittier through the 2. 5 mile Anton Anderson Tunnel and head on to Anchorage through some of the most beautiful parts of Alaska.
The sixty miles of this private tour is filled with many things to do and see like wildlife, glaciers, and if we are lucky, we may catch the surfers riding the tidal bore along the Turnagain Arm, quite a phenomenon. It's my goal and desire to make this day the most memorable day of your vacation.
Most all of my tours usually end up going over the scheduled time period so I'm not worried about spending more time with you. Also feel free to ask for a quote to other destination cities north or south of Anchorage.
Meet you in the Cruise Ship Terminal. ( I will have a sign with your last name ).
- Leaving Whittier via the 2. 5 mile long historical Anton Anderson Memorial Tunnel.
- Our first picture stop will be at Portage Lake, just outside the tunnel. Then the scenic 10 miles through Portage Valley to the Seward Highway.
- Shortly after we'll enter the Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center, over 250 acres of all the Alaska animals. (Entrance fees included).
- Then we'll head 10 more miles north for a visit into Girdwood Alaska, home of Mt. Alyeska. We can take an optional trip on the tram up to the top and have or not have lunch. (Tram/Lunch fees not included).
- After getting back on the Seward Highway we'll take in all the sites along the Turnagain Arm where we may see some Dall Sheep.
- We'll take in a short tour of downtown Anchorage. When you're ready I'll drop you at your destination.
*Keep in mind that this is your tour and any part of this itinerary can be changed to suit you.
Meeting Point + Tour Duration
Meeting Point Options: Cruise Ship Port, Hotel
Duration: 5 hours
Leaving Whittier from the cruise terminal can be tricky at times. Passengers taking private transportation out of Whittier are usually released from the ship after 8am. I usually drive into Whittier at the 8:30am tunnel, pick you up, and out at the 9:00am tunnel. So there is little time to come in, get to the terminal, find my passengers, and get to the 9:00 tunnel out. Missing the 9:00 tunnel means one more hour in Whittier. So it's better to be waiting for me by 8:30.
*Ford Flex AWD SUV
seats driver +6 passengers
-----For more than 6 passengers,
*Dodge Ram 3500 Van
seats driver +14 passengers.
- Guiding Services
- Private Transportation
- Admission Tickets
Estimated Local Cash Needed
50 USD - Average cost: $30-50pp for Mt. Alyeska Tram and Lunch package if you should decide to do this excursion on the way to Anchorage.
- Personal Expenses
- Food, Drinks, Snacks
A Recent Review of this tour
Read More Reviews For This Tour
We had an excellent time on our tour with Greg! He was very kind, knowledgeable and fun. Our entire family enjoyed it which included my 17 year old daughter and my 91 year old mother. He went above and beyond by taking us around longer than probably expected due to our late flight.